Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Busy weekend

Thursday night there was a middle school football game at 4 (we lost 24-0) followed by a high school game at 7. Curtis worked as bouncer for the gate onto the field for the high school game. I left early since it was pretty chilly and I wasn't feeling well. It was the last home game for both teams. The middle school has one more game on Saturday. If they win, they'll be 0.500 for the season.

Friday, it was Nevada Day (a state holiday, NV entered the union on 10/31) and Curtis had the day off. We decided to spend the three day weekend in Palm Springs visiting Curtis's grandparents. I had met them at their house in Washington, but hadn't seen their place in Palm Springs. It's only a 4 1/2 or 5 hour drive. The exciting discovery was that there is a Tommy's in Baker (Lenwood Dr just south of the 58). I hadn't had a Tommy's chilli burger in way too long. We had to stop there on the way back as well.

We had a nice visit. Grandma and Grandpa Pehl are pretty awesome for people in their 80's. It probably helps that I haven't been hearing all their stories since birth. We also went to an awesome date farm and I saw my first date palm. I had no idea there were 119 different varieties of dates. We also went and visited my field area from my Ph.D. thesis. Since I got the samples from the geology building basement, I had never actually been to Palm Canyon. There was a gift shop, but it was long on Indians and had nothing on the geology. I found this nice little outcrop of mylonite and had to have my picture taken with it.

No comments: